We’ve all been there. You get into a minor fender-bender on the way to work. You’re in a rush and really just want to get on with your day. The damage to your car seems minor and neither driver is hurt.
Rather than call the police and wait an hour or two for the scene to be processed, you agree to both walk away from the accident. You have no idea that you have internal injuries. It won’t be until later that night when you’re rushed to the hospital that you learn you’re injured.
Now that you’ve decided not to call the police, you don’t even have the name of the driver who hit you. You have no idea where he lives or if he has insurance. And you find out you need surgery and are going to be out of work for a while. What do you do?
Any good car accident lawyer in Athens, Georgia will tell you to always call the police after an accident. There are a lot of reasons for this. The number one reason is so that you don’t end up like the guy we just described.
If the Damage is Minor, Why Do Car Accident Lawyers in Georgia Suggest You Call the Police?
People have the wrong idea when it comes to calling the police after a car accident. It has very little to do with the amount of damage to your car. Calling the police is critical after even the most minor of car accidents.
It’s important to call the police after your accident for a few reasons:
- The police will get the names, addresses and insurance information for both drivers
- The police will call an ambulance if you’re hurt
- They can get pictures of the accident scene and describe the road conditions
- They’ll generate a police report with all relevant information
- They can check to see if either driver is impaired at the time of the accident
If you get into an accident and don’t call the police, you won’t have the benefit of this information. You’ll also be unable to get any of this information later on. Even if you exchange contact information with the other driver, there’s no guarantee you’ll be able to get in touch with him. He may not even get you the right information.
Your Car Accident Attorney in Athens Knows Why People Try to Convince You Not to Call the Police
There are lots of reasons why someone would ask you not to call the police after an accident. For example, both drivers may honestly think the accident was so minor that they don’t need the police. Or maybe both parties are in a rush and have no intention of filing an insurance claim.
But there are a lot of reasons someone would try to convince you not to call the police that isn’t so innocent. Some of these include:
- They have no valid driver’s license
- They don’t have car insurance
- They’re drunk or under the influence of drugs
- They’re breaking the law some other way
- They are driving a stolen car
- They have warrants out against them
Now, it’s not your job to determine who’s lying and who’s telling the truth. That’s why it’s best to always call the police after an accident.
Your Auto Accident Attorney in Athens Needs the Police Report
Even if you don’t think you need to call the police, your auto accident attorney needs that police report. The police report has crucial information that you’ll need if you need to sue down the road. It’ll also come in handy if the other driver’s insurance company denies your claim.
The police report has the following information that your attorney is going to need for your case:
- Contact information for the other driver
- the other driver’s license and insurance info
- Contact information for any witnesses
- Description of the accident scene and road conditions
- A record of any citations or DUI arrests made at the time of the accident
- Statements made by all parties involved
Although your attorney can get this information other ways, it’ll be time consuming and expensive. You’re much better off if you have the report.
Contact a Car Accident Lawyer in Athens, Georgia Today
If you’ve been involved in a car accident, you need to call a car accident lawyer in Athens today. Your lawyer will handle the legal side of things while you recover from your injuries. He’ll deal with the insurance company so you don’t have to.
Call and schedule your free initial consultation today. It gives you a chance to meet with an experienced lawyer who will review your case. And remember – you pay nothing until you settle your case.