We see so many cases on television in the movies where people recover millions of dollars for their car accident. In real life, this is rarely the case. The damages involved in a car accident are usually a lot less than that. Most car accident lawsuits only compensate you for your medical bills and lost wages. Even in cases where pain and suffering are involved, it’s usually for a lot less than millions of dollars. An Athens car accident attorney can give you more insight.
When you visit an attorney about your case, he’s going to do a few things. He’ll review your case to see if it’s even worth taking. If it is, he’ll give you an idea of what it may be worth. He’ll reach out to the other driver’s insurance company to see if they’re willing to settle your claim. If not, he’ll file a lawsuit on your behalf.
Your lawsuit will demand that you be compensated for your injuries. Most car accident cases involve the following types of damages:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
An experienced Athens car accident attorney will make sure you get the compensation you deserve.
How Does Your Athens Car Accident Attorney Calculate Damages?
Most types of damages are easy to calculate. Things like medical bills and lost wages can be proved with receipts and tax forms. Even property damage is easy to calculate.
For example, when it comes to these types of damages, you are entitled to the following:
- Medical bills – You are entitled to recover any medical bills caused by the accident. This includes bills for your hospital visit and any tests they perform. It also includes things like doctor visits and physical therapy. You’ll recover any money you spent on prescriptions. Your claim also includes future medical bills. Your Athens car accident attorney will have experts testify as to how much these future medical bills may be.
- Lost wages – If you’re in a car accident, you’ll miss time from work. If you miss more than a couple of weeks, you’re entitled to recover these wages. Your attorney will submit time sheets and tax returns to prove what you would have earned had it not been for the accident.
- Property damage – If your car is damaged or totaled in the accident, your attorney will demand that you be reimbursed for this.
Your experienced Athens car accident attorney will make sure you are compensated for your injuries.
Your Athens Car Accident Attorney Know How Pain and Suffering is Calculated
Determining pain and suffering is a lot harder than proving the other types of damages. There is no way to provide receipts to prove physical pain. It’s an intangible element that your Athens car accident attorney must prove.
In determining pain and suffering, the court will consider the following things:
- The severity of the accident
- How long was your recovery time?
- Are you able to do your favorite sports and hobbies?
- Can you still take care of your family?
- Were you treated for anxiety or depression?
- Are you permanently disabled as a result of the accident?
The insurance company knows how pain and suffering is calculated. They will keep this in mind when trying to negotiate a settlement with your lawyer. Rarely will you ever get to the point where you have to prove these things in court.
In preparing for your case, your attorney will still gather evidence to prove your pain and suffering. This is so that he has it available should your case go to trial. However, most cases settle long before trial. Nobody wants to endure the time and expense of a trial. It’s in everyone’s best interest to settle out of court.
Contact an Athens Car Accident Attorney to Discuss Your Case
If you’re injured in a car accident, you need to contact an Athens car accident attorney. The last thing you need to do is battle with the insurance adjuster. That’s what your Athens car accident attorney is for. Let him focus on the legal side of things while you recover from your injuries.
If pain and suffering will be a component of your case, be prepared to discuss the following:
- The level of physical pain you’re in
- How your family has been affected by your accident
- Whether you are being treated by a psychologist or psychiatrist
- Any issues you’ve experienced at work following your injuries
- Any issues you’re experienced in your personal and family relationships
Your Athens car accident attorney will work hard to get you the money you deserve. Call and schedule your initial consultation today. It’s absolutely free and you pay nothing until you win your case!