Drunk driving accidents account for more deaths on the road than any other sort of accident. This is true in Georgia as well. Although the drunk driving rates are slightly lower in Georgia than the rest of the country, it’s still way too high. Despite the fact that we all know how dangerous drunk driving is, millions of Americans admit that they get behind the wheel after drinking alcohol.
Georgia has taken a lot of measures to curb drunk driving. Over the past ten years, they have seen a decrease in the number of drunk driving accidents. They’ve also seen a decrease in the number of drivers arrested for DUI. Nationally, about 2% of all drivers admit to driving drunk at least once a year. In Georgia, that number is only about 1.4%. This is partially due to the initiatives taken by Georgia law enforcement and lawmakers.
From strict DUI laws to sobriety checkpoints, Georgia takes great pains to reduce the number of drunk driving incidents in their state. If you’re one of the unfortunate victims of a drunk driving accident, you need to call a car accident lawyer in Athens. They can help you get the compensation you deserve.
What are the Efforts in Georgia to Curb Drunk Driving?
Law enforcement agencies have worked with the lawmakers in Georgia to cut down on drunk driving. They’ve amended their laws to make DUI stricter. They’ve also increased public awareness of the dangers of drunk driving. Here are some of their recent initiatives:
- Drunk Driving Laws – It’s illegal to drive with a blood alcohol level of .08% or higher. For people under 21, there is a zero-tolerance policy. People below the legal drinking age will be arrested for DUI if they have any trace of alcohol in their system. It is also illegal to drive while under the influence of any drugs. This is true no matter how old the driver.
- Sobriety Checkpoints – Some states make it illegal to conduct sobriety checkpoints. In Georgia, they’re perfectly legal. The police may set up checkpoints where they can stop drivers at random and make sure they aren’t drunk driving.
- Ignition Interlock Devices – If you’ve been convicted of DUI, you may have to install an ignition interlock device on your car. These devices require you to take a breathalyzer test before you start your car. If you measure higher than .02%, the car won’t start and it will be reported to the courts.
- Driving privilege suspensions – If you’re convicted of DUI, or refuse to take a field sobriety test, your license will be suspended. The length of the suspension can be as little as 3 months or longer than a year. It depends on the level of your offense.
- Alcohol screenings and interventions – Georgia has programs designed to identify people at risk of DUI and provide treatment. The treatment offered depends on the individual. These programs are designed to prevent DUI rather than just penalize people for them.
Thankfully, these measures have helped cut down the number of drunk driving incidents. However, they’re still much higher than they should be.
How Ridesharing Has Helped Reduce Drunk Driving Accidents
In general, rideshare companies like Uber and Lyft have helped drivers all over the country. People who didn’t have a way to work other than walking or taking the bus can use Uber. It’s relatively inexpensive and it provides door to door service. Ridesharing has also offered a low-cost solution to the problem of drinking and driving.
Before we had ridesharing, people had to rely on a designated driver if they went out drinking. Too often, the designated driver would end up drinking too much. Rather than find another way home, they’d get behind the wheel. Too many times, this led to drunk driving accidents. These accidents caused very serious injuries and even death.
Thanks to ridesharing, people out drinking can get a safe ride home. This keeps both the driver and other people on the road safe. Now, if only more people would take advantage of them, we could lower the DUI numbers even more.
Contact an Auto Accident Attorney in Athens
If you’ve been the victim in a drunk driving accident, you need to call an auto accident attorney in Athens. These lawyers have years of experience handling cases just like yours. They’ll make sure they get you the compensation you deserve.
Call and schedule your free initial consultation today. You can sit down with a car accident attorney in Athens who knows how to prove your case. He can review your case and let you know what it’s worth. He can also answer any questions you may have.